Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting disk whose target number has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoherty

MIS
Jan 18, 2001
US
We have recently installed Solaris 7 on a virgin disk on SCSI 0 (c0t0d0s0 is the root partition). The disk that was previously on SCSI 0 was moved to SCSI 1 (which is now c0t1d0s0). We wanted to preserve this disk because it contains Solaris 2.6 and software that is only supported under 2.6 . If we want to boot from disk1 now, Solaris 2.6, as opposed to the Solaris 7 disk, disk0, how do I reformat this disk so it will recognize the proper partitions and boot? I thought all I would have to do is modify the /etc/vfstab file (change c0t0d0s0 to c0t1d0s0, etc...). On boot I get the message "Can't open /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0". The system tells me to run fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 - I do but the system can't open that device. Please help and thanks in advance.

Did you try to change the boot device in the Open Boot prom where you can set the boot_device as the disc in targer 1.

bemine, the disk was originally configured on SCSI 0, now it is in SCSI 1. Simply setting the boot-device to disk1 is not working/will not work. There has to be some file(s) other than /etc/vfstab on the disk that need to be modified OR, maybe, there is some utility that can be run on this device to change it from it's original configuration of c0t0d0s0 to c0t1d0s0. fsck will not work, or at least it won't work the way I am using it. I am afraid to change all the soft links in /dev/rdsk from c0t0d0s0 to c0t1d0s0, I don't want to corrupt the disk. The simple (or hard, depending on how you look at it) solution would be to open the box, switch disk 1 with disk 0. But, that could get real old after a while. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Boot your system from CDROM. Mount the root partition of your disk to the /mnt directory, then modify the /mnt/etc/vfstab file to match the controller/target configuration of your system. You should then be able to boot from the disk.

Jerry Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back