Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting and installing win2k on Nefinity5100 (8658) probs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvisoft

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2005
CA
Hi,

I am new to IBM servers and I got a PIII 866mhz and have encountered some problems. Each time I boot the system it hangs up at PCI Token-Ring PXE and just stays there with some number OP-0011 0016 blinking. To the right of the screen top corner there is # CS118j.

Nonetheless, I tried to install win2k with the boot diskettes but windows could not see drive the format it.
On the Computer itself the HD lights is green and ok is on but there is an exclamation sign on one of the lights to the right of the front panel on top.

So, can anyone help me on how to resolve these problems.

Thanks in advance

to see why the info light is on ,check bios for log files, most likely it is full and needs to be cleared, removing and restoring ac power generates a log entry and can fill the log fast. If you have nothing connected to the token ring card, pull it out...Was this an old store server? only ones that I know still using token ring for a lan, It is looking for a network on the token ring.

It's also possible that the drives have been wiped out and since it cannot find a bootable device it's trying to boot off the token ring PXE. You will need to run Serveraid in order to configure (or view the existing config)on your drives

Thanks for the tips but how where do I get Serveraid?
Also, if the drives have ben wiped out will there not be message to that effect or the HD lights would have been out or....

green power light on hdd is no indication of an OS present,Servraid can be downloaded from the ibm/support site, as long as you have a cdrw and a good program like nero. it is an *.iso and needs to be burned as an image, not just taken and copied to the cd, as it won't boot that way.

Also you will need the raid drivers, as once you configure the raid, win 2k will need the F6 and adding of the raid drivers to install or it won't see the logical drive to install to. What does the raid mini-config say? <ctrl+I> to get to the menu...it should show how the drives are mapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back