Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootable NTFS Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
Is there any utility to be able to boot to a dos prompt that will allow me to read/write to a ntfs partition? I can't use the recovery console, because some of the files i want to read and write to are windows system files (which are in use when using the console).

Basically, I want to rename/remove the windows, documents and settings, and program files folders.

Thanks,
Andrew

NTFS DOS, ubcd4win, Bert Pe, ERD Commander 2003 or 2005. The free one but a little work would be UBCD4Win build on Bert Pe. check it out at ubcd4win.com

Some links which might be useful?

Cannot move or rename the Documents and Settings folder

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

Program Files Directory on a different Drive from Windows
thread779-951874

A junction point (also known as a reparse point) is a technology for a folder to be grafted into another folder on the same local computer.

Junction Link Magic

Using Folder Redirector utility to redirect special folders in Windows XP

Moving Docs/Settings folder in windows xp pro
thread779-763308

"For all Documents and Settings.

The only safe and sure way of doing it is to use SysPrep before installing XP and specifying the location.

Alternativly you can use the TweakUI software from the microsoft website to relocate specific special folders, however this does not always work i have found.
Greg Palmer"

Relocating Hard Drive Capacity and File Compression
thread779-939540

ntfs back to fat32
thread779-918806

NTFSDOS.EXE is a file system driver for DOS/Windows
that is able to recognize and mount NTFS drives for transparent access. It makes NTFS drives appear indistinguishable from standard FAT drives, providing the ability to navigate, view and execute programs on them from DOS or from Windows, including from the Windows 3.1 File
Manager and Windows 95 Explorer.

The latest version of NTFSDOS can be found at

A full read/write version of NTFSDOS is available in the form of NTFSDOS Professional (also ERD Commander)

These write versions are not cheap.

acl03 - why not just slave the drive in another machine - then you can do what you like with the files and folders - I presume you don't intend continuing to run the current version of XP on it if you're renaming/deleting the windows folder!

wolluf: that's what I ended up doing, but i didn't have another PC handy, so i had to bring one from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back