Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bootable floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markguttridge

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Hi

I want to flash upgrade the bios of my pc using the boot disk method however i'm new to W2K and can't find a way of creating a bootable floppy, can anyone help?

Mark,

This is from the Win2K help file after an index search for "boot disk"

To create setup disks

Insert a blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB disk into the floppy disk drive.

Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type d:\bootdisk\makeboot a: (where d: is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM drive), and then click OK.

Follow the screen prompts.

Important

You will need four blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB floppy disks. Label them Setup Disk One, Setup Disk Two, Setup Disk Three, and Setup Disk Four.

Note

You can create the setup disks from a computer running any version of Windows or MS-DOS.

Good luck, and Happy Computing

What you need is a minimal boot win9x/ME floppy (one that doesn't load any drivers). If you have access to a win9x machine, you can create one by typing format a: /s at a dos prompt. If not, you can download boot disks from If you can't find a minimal one there, just download for example a win98 one. Create the win98 boot floppy, boot machine with it, then type format a: /s at the a: prompt, and it will ask you to put (other) disk in. You can now copy your new bios file & flash software to this floppy, and boot from it to flash the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back