Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootable DVD Under XP Home With NTFS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorryDog777

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
HI, I have searched the forums and found some good information about bootable DVDs. I'm not sure which program to purchase for creating a bootable DVD that supports ntfs.

I have a pc here (1 yr old) that's been formatted, XP Home installed, favorite software installed.

What I want to do is make a bootable DVD to burn an image of this current configuration. Similar to days of yore when pc manufacture’s supplied a bootable cd with an image of the os and installed software. Boot on cd and restore your system back to factory-supplied level.

I have a copy of Ghost 2002, but it doesn't see the ntfs formatted hard drives.

Anyone have a suggestion for a program to create this bootable system DVD?

Thanks for your help.

SD

I like linney's software suggestions, but the key issue: will your BIOS support a DVD boot, or, will it only support booting from a CD ROM?

Both the products above will support a "rescue boot" image to CD, and work perfectly in that role.

Thanks linney for your suggestion. I purchased Norton Ghost 9 today.

Good question bcastner, in the BIOS it says IDE CD-ROM DEVICE

I Have the latest BIOS flash already. The computer is only 1 year old. Are you implying that BIOS should read something like IDE DVD-ROM DEVICE?

Thanks for your help

SD

I am suggesting that there is no BIOS support to boot from DVD, only CD Rom.

Interesting...

So, I'm guessing that newer pc's have a boot from DVD setting in the BIOS?

I'll look at a new pc at work to see if it has DVD boot support.

BTW, I got Ghost for $19.95 after rebates come in. I can't resist a bargain!!

Thanks for your help.

SD

I have never seen a BIOS option to boot from DVD, perhaps it does exist.

But the requirements to make a bootable optical disk are quite stringent.

In my opinion you would:

. use Ghost to create an image, then store the image on a DVD if like;

. use Ghost to create a bootable emergency CD so that you can then access an image on your system.

I can only talk for my PC here. In the Bios my boot options are Floppy, IDE0-0, IDE0-1, IDE1-0, IDE1-1. If I select one of my DVD drives it will boot from a DVD. In my case I have used MSDN disks in this situation.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

I don't doubt that a Juliet format DVD can be written so as to make it bootable.

My concerns were:

. BIOS support for a DVD drive at boot
. and the format of the DVD itself

The question by the orginal poster was whether a backup scheme would write a bootable restore DVD. I honestly do not know the answer.

Thanks for your replies.
My DVD burner is one of the combo units as most are. It's a NEC ND-1100A with the following specs:

Data Transfer Rate: DVD:8….12x (max. 16200 kByte/s) - read +R: 4x CLV (5520 kByte/s) - write +RW: 2.4x CLV (3300) kByte/s - write
CD:7…40x (2550-6000 kByte/s) - read -R: 16x CLV (2400 kByte/s) - write -RW: 10x CLV (1500) kByte/s - write

Modes Supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-Video, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-Audio, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, Photo-CD, Video CD, Hybrid CD

I'll experiment some more to see if I find a solution.

Thanks again for all of your help!

SD

Note to Microsoft and possible Third-Party vendors:

We appreciate offering NTBACKUP.EXE under XP Professional. What would be desired is a Scheduled Task capable, command line capable, compression using, backup scheme that writes a bootable image restore to CD, multiple CDs if needed, or DVDs:

. If the image to be backed up exceeds the capacity of a single blank CD, it should allow you to span to a second, third, etc. CD;

. If the image to be backed up fits within a CD, or DVD, then great.

The backup CD, or DVD should provide:

. It should be self-booting
. It should offer the equivalent of System Restore under its own boot as a menu choice; or,
. The equivalent of System Recovery as a menu choice; or,
. the choice to replace the existing hard drive with the saved image without intervention

In addition, it should allow you to mount the image as if it was a new drive, and selectively copy, paste and replace files on the hard drive from the image using Explorer.

Sincerely yours,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back