Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootable CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
I usually create a bootable CD using a Win98 boot disk and Nero.

I have copied all the files from the Win98 boot disk to a directory called c:\boot. I have also added 4 MB of additional things, totalling around 5 MB.

My question is, how can I use all the data in c:\boot to make my boot disk, seeing as it is too big to fit on a floppy drive? I have tried many programs with no success, so any help is appreciated.

------------------------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I know you said you have tried multiple programs... but have you tried bootdisk.com and in particular, Bart's PE Bootdisk?
Bart's PE Bootdisk is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
-Jdogg

Tried it, I seem to get an insufficient memory problem when I run my applications.

Thanks anyway.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Did smah's solution solve your issues? It sounds to me like you're running DOS programs and running out of base memory (if you are, consider loading himem.sys & emm386.sys in your config.sys file, just google it, it's easy!). The way i make my CDs/DVD's bootable is to have the boot files on the floppy, then any additional stuff i need in a folder and just copy that folder to the CD/DVD project in Nero whilst still taking the boot image part from the FDD. It's kind of a hack but it allows me to get around the limitations of Nero.
I also have a handy dandy utlity from HP which allows me to create bootable USB flash drives (search HP's site for USB format utility)that way, i can make a bootable flash drive, dump anything ii like on it then use that for anything i like.

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back