Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Win2k Server Without Keyboard and Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalbao

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
US
I have a windows 2000 server that will be remote from my office. I will use vnc to connect to it. For my situation, it is ideal NOT to have a keyboard or mouse connected to the server. The problem is, when I attempt to boot the server without a keyboard/mouse, windows will not boot due to the lack of a keyboard.

So the question is, what do I need to do to allow windows 2000 server to boot 'normally' without a keyboard/mouse?

tia

Starting your server with no mouse should be no big problem, if any at all.
Starting up with no keyboard will have to be addressed on a hardware level, nothing to do with the operating system.
Your operating system will just send an event to the log and you would get a popup stating that no keyboard is found.

It sounds like your machine is looking for keyboard from the bios right after it is turned on.
There are options in bios setup not to halt on errors etc, it really depends on your hardware and you didn't mention what you are using.

There are loopback connectors which can fool the computer into thinking there is a keyboard plugged in where there is none. Basically they are a dummy plug that sends the signal back to the system when queried...and the bios thinks there is one there.

Hope this helps

Kimber

thanks for the reply kimber.

regarding the bios - the only 'setting' that there is, is a 'report on keyboard error'. i went ahead and disabled that setting.

regarding the os. i believe it's an os issue, because when the machine boots into os without a keyboard, win2k spits out an error message that states that a service could not be started. at that point, if i were to vnc into the machine, vnc states that the computer could not be found, which implies that the vnc service did not start.

although it's not the ideal answer i was looking for, i'll look into the loopback connectors.

thanks for the tip

If you are still having an issue don't hesitate to post again and I will look into more options for you....and you are most welcome.

Kimber There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of this post....I am not addicted to my work now am I?

You DO have the machine doing an automatic log on dont you?

The operating system you are using requires a logon to boot and be accessible....
I should have mentioned it before, but sometimes when you are technical you take things for granted....my error.
This is only possible in a non domain computer.

FYI: If security of the physical location of the box and information is an issue then you should know it is risky to turn this on.

Let us know

Kimber There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

[You DO have the machine doing an automatic log on dont you?]

No Kimber, I do not have automatic log on. And to be honest, I would rather not have an automatic log on.

My server is set up so that all services (iis, dns, sql server etc) will start without having to log on upon start up. My problem is that the server will 'freeze up' if a keyboard/mouse is not connected to it upon start up. The server is a 3U rack mount which I will eventually have colocated - which implies that a mouse/keyboard is unecessary.

I'm thinking that there has got to be a way that I can set up win2k so that it doesn't have to have a keyboard/mouse connected to it.

Thanks Kimber.

Ok....
what EXACTLY happens when you boot...
it freezes?
or you get an error message?
You will have to clarify, as you first stated that it would not boot due to lack of...and a freeze up is a totally different matter.

Kimber

PS Glad you don't require autologon in this environment. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only a dumb mistake because you didn't ask...

I've not had the locking while booting problem but I know, from experience, once the server is up you can't just pop a keyboard/mouse on and expect it to work. It won't use the K/M after boot if it wasn't there during.

I always make sure I have terminal services running in remote management mode. Otherwise you can't safely shut the server down, (oh, unless you have a ups with ups management running and you pull the mains) :eek:)

Your best bet would be to put some kind of K/M or swticher hardware on the server, like a Belkin Omni cube.

I have pc's which have no keyboard mouse or monitor sitting in network cabs acting as servers. I also ensure that terminal services is running, i find it better than vnc and more reliable.

I have had to no tweaking for this to work, just boot the pc up with no keyboard mouse and it, well, it just works.

Sorry if this is not helpfull, but it may be helpful to know someone else has completed what you are trying to do. Mark Taylor
Technical Manager
NHS

I have pc's which have no keyboard mouse or monitor sitting in network cabs acting as servers. I also ensure that terminal services is running, i find it better than vnc and more reliable.

I have had to no tweaking for this to work, just boot the pc up with no keyboard mouse and it, well, it just works.

Sorry if this is not helpfull, but it may be helpful to know someone else has completed what you are trying to do.

What event id's are you getting ? Mark Taylor
Technical Manager
NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back