Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot up using 80 gig drive getting error and BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

allister

Technical User
May 21, 2002
GB
hi this is my first post and hope someone can help me I have recently decided to change to windows 2000 due to stabillity issues with win98se since doing this everythig seemed to be ok untill i tried to reboot after first setup my main drive (primary master C: ) is a 40 gig samsung drive and the second is a 80 gig maxtor on the (secondary master) when i restart i get a blue screen saying xxxSTOP: 0x000007b (0xEB81B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x000000, 0x00000000)
.....inaccessible_boot_device

the strange thing is this drive works on a differnt computer with windows 2000 and used to work on this one with windows 98 also if i wait till i have booted with the c drive only then plug in 80gig maxtor then add hardware it finds the drive and works ...well until my next reboot

please help me out im desperate :(

I received a Windows 2000 stop message after upgrading my motherboard and processor. From what I have heard Windows 2k remembers "too much" about your old system and it is common to have problems even if you move a working hard drive from one win2k machine to another. I'm sure some of the other users of this forum may have other suggestions. One thing you may do is image any programs on the drive that you want to keep onto a cd and then format the drive using the newly loaded machine.

I caution against booting up the computer then plugging in the hard drive unless it is a USB drive. Plugging in while running unless you have hot swap capability is a good way to fry something.
If the drive is ATA100 and the board supports ATA100 then during install of W2K watch for the prompt to hit F6 if you have SCSI or third party hardware. If the computer does have an ATA 100 controller then W2K does not support it until SP2.That being said when you get theprompt hit F6 and point it to the controll;er software. This will allow W2K to see the drive on its reboot in the second phase of the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back