Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Up Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhuntermartin

Technical User
Dec 16, 2004
MX
I saw something on the internet I can't find. When you bring up the run window and type configsys you get a listing of the programs that will automatically startup when you boot. What are the essential programs ? I believe there were only 4 or 5.

In earlier versions of the windows and dos operating systems items listed in config.sys were hardware related items or device drivers to tie hardware items into the OS.
The operating systems ran on most machines without a config file or an autoexec.bat file, which was a companion used to start executables after the hardware drivers were loaded.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

A handy command is msconfig. Go to Start, Run, and type msconfig and OK. Click on Startup tab to see programs launching at startup. You can uncheck programs you don't want to launch at startup. And you can always go back to msconfig and check it again if you later decide you need it.

Most of the essential Windows programs are started as a Service and will not appear in the Startup list of MsConfig that I think you are referring to. Services starting would be shown under the Services tab of MsConfig.

The programs listed under the Startup tab are the mainly the third party programs you have installed either intentionally or unintentionally.

When trying to work out what is a genuine program or malware this site is useful.

While at the above site click on the Exe hyperlink in this paragraph from the site and download Start_ups exe list which will give you a searchable list of most of the startup programs and whether they are good or bad.

"If you prefer the old format you can still download the HTML ZIP and EXE formats which consist of a single table arranged alphabetically and are recommended for regular visitors anyway. Also available is an EXCEL ZIP version which contains no hyperlinks."

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

An introduction to the analysis of a Hi-jack This log file
faq760-4897

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back