Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an ECS k7s5a mainboard and 1.3 gig Athlon T-bird. When it boot sup windows gives me the following "Windows preotection error. You must restart your computer. System halted". The onlyw ay to get windows to boot is to choose a step by step confirmation bootup. I have reinstalled windows 3 times now. Same problem each time. the operating system is winme. Win2k was on it b4 the mainboard and cpu upgrade. And i got a protection error so i formated . now I'm using winme cause i cannot find my win2k disk. I have the onboard sound disabled as well as midi and game ports. I am using an sb live 5.1 x-gamer. My video card is a riva tnt 16 meg pci. I also have a usb ms optical mouse. I have tried to underclock the ram and system bus to 100/100. I get worse erros. A whole bunch of weird numbers and vxd errors at boot up when i underclock. I checked my sdram (pc133) with Memtest and the ram passed withought a glitch. ANy ideas as to what may be going on?

How much RAM are you using? I know similar problems arise with 95/98 when Windows can't support the amount of RAM you have, 98 supports about 300...312MB if I remember correctly. I thought ME extended it considerably, but I could be wrong. If it's split over two(or more) sticks, try removing one and running with less RAM.

Hope this Helps,
Nick

i have 2 128 sticks, i have ran up to 512 before with no problems on the other board

Don't ask me why but put DDR memory in it and it will be fine!
My local PC vendor uses between 5-15 of these ECS boards a day in there machines and if ever there is a problem it is a machine using SDram and almost always cured when DDR ram is fitted. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

I had the same aggravating problem, the solution to which, in the end, turned out to be a fresh video driver file reinstalled over a corrupted version of same. The corrupt file was on the OEM CD so reformatting couldn't resolve the problem. Just a longshot possibility for your consideration.

interesting, i just used the windows video drivers, maybe i should installt eh tnt detonator 4 pack

i just checked the revision number on the mainboard, its 3.1, so i "should" have the problem free version......In many other posts on this web site ppl have said to upgrade to revision 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back