Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot-up looping at beginning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

porter

Technical User
Aug 31, 2001
US
When I turn on my computer the first screen comes up with 3 lines in which one line has "SGRAM Size 8.00". Then another screen comes up which has the Energy Save symbol and does a memory test along with plug & play. Then it loops back to the first screen and keeps cycling through though two screens. It just started to do this on Power-On. It's always done it every time I go to Shutdown, then Restart.
I can get to setup.
I have Win98.
Can someone help??

BIOS processing failure.
1) reseat bios chip
2) reseat memory
3) possible memory problem
4) M/B problem
Reseating chips to break through possible corrosion on contacts. May require multiple attempts.
Worst case is replacing the M/B. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the response. I did reseat the memory chip. I will try the others. Before replacing the M/B, do you think it would help to flash the bios??

If is flashable, yes. Probably can't make it worse.
Sometimes you have to reseat the memory multiple times to break thru, I normally take the chip almost to latch, then full open, and do it 6 to 12 times before latching it.
And you can take everything out of the machine except video to eliminate something else grabbing the bus.
Can't think of anything in setup that would cause the problem.
And if you have other memory , you might want to swap it in. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back