Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot server utilizing quad port card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstep

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
US
I am trying to set up a boot server running Solaris 7 on an Ultra-10 workstation. The hme1 port is connected to the backbone and can access the jumpstart server. I have installed a quad port card (qfe0, qfe1, qfe2, and qfe3) to pick up ethers broadcasts on 4 separate subnets. /etc/hostname hme1=hostname; qfe0 = hostname(a); qfe1=hostname(b) ..etc.

Problem:
When I boot a machine to install over the network and access the quad port boot server it does not pass configuring /dev and devices step. However I can install the boot server on an ultra-10 with only one port (hme1) on any of the 4 qfe subnets and run the network install without any errors.

I ran a snoop on the machine with the quad port and compared it to the boot server with only the hme port and the packets were not the same. Not all request are being sent/received on the quad port server that are on the hme server.

I was wondering if the quad ports are not sending out some or all of the responses on the port that it is receiving them. i.e. it receives via qfe2 and responds out hme0. Is there any way to set a default router for each port? The /etc/defaultrouter is set to the hme1 defaultrouter.

Has anyone tried this, had any success with, or might have any ideas how to setup/install/enable a boot server with a quad port card to pick up ethers broadcast from 4 separate subnets and start the jumpstart procedures?

If you need further explanation please let me know.

Thanks,
Burke

Do you try to change the boot prom "local-mac-address?" variable to true ?

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back