Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot sector virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Hi people,

My last maxtor plus d740x had bad sectors and failed. I have just got a new unformatted hard disk (maxtor diamondmax plus9 80gb) and i am trying to install xp 1st edition on it.

When i try and install xp onto the harddrive i get a boot sector virus warning. I am asked if i want to continue and select no but installation still continues.

I think that this might be because i have enabled boot sector virus protection on my motherboard and as this is the first time i am installing my hd its attempting to write to the boot record.

Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks

Computer Specs
xp 1800+
msi kt333 ultra aru
128mb twinmos ddr ram
geforce 4 ti 4200

Yes, that is the probable , almost guaranteed reason. Boot sector virus protection doesn't like anybody messing with the boot sector.

Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Virus? Probably not. Most likely the BIOS has a built-in AV which monitors any attempts to write to the MBR. Check the BIOS settings and disable the AV.

HTH, AVChap
... my $1 worth of advise, 2cents isn't enough due to inflation

hi,

thanks for that it works fine after disabling the virus detection in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back