Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot sector data recovery danger

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazuli

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
PL
I recently suffered a hard-disk failure (Windows 2000 disk manager read the disk as healthy but of unknown file format) and downloaded several demo recovery programmes from the internet.

These proceded to make matters worse, to a horrendous degree, even though they were only supposed to be reading data. I thought my hard disk (a 6 month old, 60GB IBM Deskstar, IDE) was suffering severe physical breakdown.

Now my disk is with a 17 year old boy who is successfully recovering the data, although the sectors where these demo programs hard been `reading` were the most highly scrambled and took 20 hours to recover just 1%. Once past the points where these demos had been reading a further 40% was recovered in the next hour and today, the next day, I am expecting the whole disk returned, recovered, in full working ordered.

Considering the disk is physically OK, the only logical reason I can assign to the degredation is either bad work or foul play by the demo programs; which in each final case recommended contcting their main company for repair work; even though before they began their `analysis`the disk was still readable and accessable by Windows.

Am I being paranoid or are these companies deliberately sabotaging peoples`repair efforts in a move to charge them vast sums for having their siks repaired in-house.

Has anyone else had similar experiences???

Richard

actually, i doubt your theory about sabotaging. these companies want to make money and bad media would cleary hinder that and most likely swipe them from the market altogether. it mostly still comes down to the user and not the program. remember the good old norton commander? if folks didnt have enough experience and knowledge they could really screw up their system with it. i also see a lot of problems caused by incorrect use of powerfull tools like partition magic, system commander etc.

Thanks for the reply.

As it turns out IBM`s own DFT program was able to completely restore the drive, by resetting all the parameters to zero; after which it worked perfectly. For a week. Now it has gone down again, exactly as before, and is being returned to IBM for replacement.
From this I can only conclude that you, and others who have replied to my letters on this topic, are correct in defending these demo recovery programs and I apologise for my earlier conclusions against them.

Cheers

lazuli
What is a "DFT" program? I may have a similar problem with my maxtor 27gig, so I'm looking for answers & alternatives(don't have the $$$$ to send it to data recovery service)

thanks

Hi,
One of my computer suffered hard drive problems.
Fortunately I can see the drive and read most of the data when I boot using the windows98 recovery disk that came with the computer (laptop).
I can even copy it to my IOMEGA drive (thanks IOMEGA)>

My question is what is the list of important data one should copy ?
Mail folders, address book, quicken data etc.
Is there a complete list ?
I would like to copy off important files before I do disk
reformat.
PS: The laptop was dropped accidently while ON :-(

Thanks
Robert

dear robert

you need to copy anything that you may feel you will need for your new drive. importance of files differs from person to person.

more than likely you will copy your outlook pst files and your quicken files, and any pictures that you dont wanna lose. if there is anyother files that are important to you copy them over as well. hope this helps

jc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back