Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot recovery on a 7200 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharb

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
TR
Hello All,
I have deleted the boot flash (rx-boot)in my 7200 router
now when I reload the router I get all CCCCC for boot flash because the boot flash is deleted. I do have a valid version of IOS on A PCMCIA card and I can boot the router with that but after the boot I need to copy the boot flash from a TFTP server back in to the router and I am not able to. Any body has any solution?
Thanks

Not quite following you if your able to boot off of slot0: or disk0: and the image loads properly you should then be able to assign an ip to an ethernet interface and tftp from a machine on that newtwork. Maybe i'm missing something though. a little more description might help me help you.

Mark

yes I am able to boot from slot0 and I have TFTP configured and also the interface is configured but the problem is when I try to copy the boot flash from the TFTP server to the router it will copy the boot flash or rx-boot to the flash. another word I am not able to go to boot mode because I deleted the image but I am not able to copy it back to the router once the IOS is loaded.
Thanks

Try using the following configs once your router is up and you've established connectivity to the tftp server by pinging it.

Router#copy tftp disk0:
Address or name of remote host []? xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Source filename []? your-ios.5.bin
Destination filename [your-ios.5.bin]? <cr>
!!!!!!!!!!
OK

then try
router#dir flash:

let me know

Mark

I have tried all the copy options when I issue copy tftp slot0 it will copy the boot image to the PCMCIA card which is the flash. It is supposed to be copied to the boot flash which is setting on the NPE. If I take out the PCMCIA card it goes to ROMMONITOR and it does not give me any option to load the boot image so I have to put the PCMCIA card back in to get booted to the IOS.

Thanks

Can't you copy it from a TFTP server to the bootflash? If you do a &quot;copy tftp ?&quot; it will give you the following options:

copy flash ?
bootflash: Copy to bootflash: file system
disk0: Copy to disk0: file system
disk1: Copy to disk1: file system
flash: Copy to flash: file system
ftp: Copy to ftp: file system
lex: Copy to lex: file system
null: Copy to null: file system
nvram: Copy to nvram: file system
pram: Copy to pram: file system
rcp: Copy to rcp: file system
running-config Update (merge with) current system configuration
slot0: Copy to slot0: file system
slot1: Copy to slot1: file system
startup-config Copy to startup configuration
system: Copy to system: file system
tftp: Copy to tftp: file system

Did you try a &quot;copy tftp bootflash&quot;?

rainman

Thank you for the feed back rainman.
When it boot to the IOS I do not have all the copy optin that you mention above. the only options are tftp startup-config system and a couple of others the slot options are not there and nether the bootflash option. now even with bootflash option not beeing there I can still use the option by typing copy tftp bootflash but it will copy the bootflash file from tftp to flash which is on slot0 but that is not want I want. also before I deleted the bootflash I remember whenever the router was booted to boot mode I had all the copy optins that you mention above but not in IOS mode.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back