Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Problems 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

claymca

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
US
Ok the problem is whenever I turn on my machine or reboot it takes 5-10 mins for it to boot up. It gets to the desk top loads a couple of icons than just sits there thinking or waiting the after 5-10 mins (depends on what day it is)it loads the rest of the icons ands finishes loading the programs and operates normally. What's the problem.

As a test, disable automatic starting of your virus scanner. Then, if this doesn't do it, take a look at what's in your startup folder. Third, Start, Run, msconfig, and look at the startup tab and work by process of elimination.

Download the free BootVis.exe Tool from Microsoft and improve your bootup times.

Also check for any unnecessary services you may have running especially look at "Indexing".

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

A good shareware program for removing errors from your Registry which might be slowing things down.
RegVac from

Lots of helpfull info LINNEY...definitly deserve a star!

So no luck my system still idles and takes a long time to load. I see that Norton is having a problem so I tried to unistall it but there is something that has it locked and I can't uninstall it.

Can you disable it's service? Start, Run, services.msc
If you find it in the list, double click and set it to disabled. If this helps the startup, this is definately the problem.

I couldn't disable it. It just started back up when the computer restarted. The problem may be the Anti-virus program icon is in the notification area of the task bar. I can't uninstall the program because of this. And I don't know hoe to get rid of the icon so the program will stop running.

Did you try 'services.msc' as mentioned above? If the service is set to disabled it will not start. Check the names & descriptions closely - you may be looking for more than 1 service.

Hello ... I got the same problem. Seems to have something to do with Norton. What was the solution ?

Daniel

I had the exact same problem, tried bootvis, cleaning registry, pagefile, reinstalled drivers, deleted prefetch, still it was taking 260 seconds to load XP Pro. Now I had two HD's, a WD and Maxtor. Bios said that WD was master (as I had expected) and Maxtor as slave. When Windows XP finally loaded, it said the same thing. However, when I took my machine apart out of shear frustration, it turned out that the physical settings were all out of wack. So, I set it up properly (those darned technicians) and now my XP boots in 24 seconds (to logon screen). I'd check my setting on the HD's if you have more then one, and fiddle around with that. You might be surprised to find that was your problem all along.

Hello linney,

that's a good advice. And maybe it would have solved my problem as well.

However, I have found out, what my problem truly was (by using the eventviewer). The (IIS) was unable to start up. Windows waited about 3 mins until it throwed an error message in the eventviewer. I therefore configured to start manually ... rebooted ... without having to wait ... and started IIS manually. Now NIS (Norton Internet Security) brought up it's firewall warning dialog box, about the service trying to act as a webserver. I allowed the access in NIS, but the was unable to start (probably because i was to slow with clicking OK). But after killing the inetinfo.exe task and restarting the with the now entered rules in NIS everything worked fine. I now can start IIS automatically at boot time without problems. The cause seemed to be something like this : by comparing System and Application Log I found out that, at the moment when IIS was starting, ccevtmgr was already up, but the rest (the GUI stuff) of NIS was not. Now IIS wanted to register as a service on port 80, but NIS did not allow this. This caused the delay.

I don't think my case is of any relevance for others. However I learned ... checking eventlog helps a lot. And the above articles gave my the idea on doing so. So ... thank's for that >;-) ...

CU Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back