Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot problems with bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy1016

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
I'm trying to update my computer so i bought these items:

P4 3.0Ghz FSB800Mhz
DFI Lanparty 875Pro
WD special edition 80G w/8mb cache
new power supply

I put them all together and started it up. It would not even turn the display on. I checked all my connections and stuff, still doesn't work. There are a few diagnostic lights on the motherboard. One set tells me that I am stuck on an "Early prgram chipset register before post."
The DIMM stadby power led is on as well as the pci standby power led. The first set of led's(early program chipset...) I could be reading wrong and it mean its stuck on "Checking CMOS checksum and battery". I tried removing the hard drive, floppy, cd drive, and pci cards. It still does the same thing. Thanks for the help.

Make sure your "Clear CMOS" jumper is in the normal position.

Jim

The jumper is in the normal position. Should I try clearing it?

Yes. also don't bother hooking up the other cards or the HD until you get it to POST.

This usually indicates a power problem, it did when I built my last box. I got a better (approved) power supply and it worked. One of the channels needs more power that your power supply can handle. It could be the 12v or 5v, it is hard to determine.

franklin97355 has a good suggestion, only connect one hard drive and the graphics card and see if it will post.
Then add components until it fails.

JON

did you verify that your MB could handle the P4?
what did you upgrade from?

What size is the power supply? You need a 350W to handle all of that.

What's your MOBO? Can it handle the PIV(good suggestion, wileya)? Check that out, first.

Thanks everybhody for the suggestions. I tried a few of them and none worked. So I physically removed the mobo from the case and put it back in and it worked. I reatached all of the drives and stuff and they all work. Now I'm stuck trying to intall windows XP, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure out, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back