Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problems, LED says F05, problem loading kernel? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluetok

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
I have an old 7043-140 that basically sits idle. The other day it restarted and never came back up. The LED says 'F05' and the error on the terminal says:
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=de9dbeef. This basically happens after the RS6000 logos fill the screen. Then it brings me to a prompt that shows '0>'. I have a few questions on what happened. What is this prompt? Is this a boot loader shell, like grub on linux? The only thing I could find on google was someone mentioned this was the 'OF' prompt? Is there a better name for it so I can find more information on it? The only valid command I could find was 'printenv', but that doesn't help me with the problem above.

Thanks,
-Mike

hi! bluetok
This problem is usually caused by one of incorect platform,kernel,microcode. i know that your system have rspc & up flatform.
I guess you probably restored other platform or kernel mksysb.

Turns out the 'OF' prompt is the open firmware prompt. I do not think I could do much from there. I can get into SMS and change the system to boot to CD, but the system gets this error before it starts to boot to the CD. I have updated the firmware on the sysplaner with no luck. I was hoping to restore the system with a mksysb, but I get this error right before it tries to boot from tape also.

hi!
I think that you will try to reseat nvram battery for reset nvram on your system board.

Turns out that it was a bad dimm. The system works fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back