Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatum

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
We just upgraded a machine from 98 to 2000. It has worked fine for the last few weeks until today when it locked up and on restart it does not boot up. It gets past the splash screen and the initial blue background comes up but the login box (the one that has configuring network devices, etc) never appears at all. It does the same thing in same mode also. I ran scandisk (still fat32 file system) and found no errors. I tried to repair the install using the recovery console but that didnt help either. Why does this happen? Is it more likely to be hardware or software? if anone has any ideas please let me know. thanks

Did you try booting in Safe Mode? If you did the quick recovery sometimes that will not work. Do the complete one.
I had a problem kind of like that. It was caused by a Microsoft Update.

I tried booting in safe mode and the same thing happened. No login box ever appears there as well.

Ran into that last night... There were a couple of virii on the system and it would not load into either safe mode or normal boot...

If you have the cd, run the windows 2000 setup again and choose the repair option. You won't lose any data or any programs you have installed. Reinstall your service packs and the system should work again.

BTW, The only virus events on the system were from gaobot.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Do you have the cd for Windows 2000 or the four floppy disk that came with the software? You can boot from either one. Get in the recover console and restore the system.

I tried manual and fast system restore from the cd and neither one of those worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back