Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobodo44

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
CA
I've recently installed a new hard drive on my computer and reinstalled xp on it after a lot of problem whit the registartion shit but now i got a new problem. If i remove my old hard-drive I can't boot with my new. I think thats because there is a boot file missing but I don't know what to do. My new hard drive is primary and active.

Thanks at advance

Just open the case and pull out the power and test it.
if it boots , well ....

Did you have only one drive before , and put in a new one leaving the old connected .
if so i guess NT bootloader and files is on the old disk .
Then it's not just to unplug it .
First of all your new disk must be a primary partition.
open computer management - disk management .

if your new has the same colorcode as the old one(blue)
it's a primary disk .
If thats the case copy boot.ini ntldr ntdetect.com
into your new xp installation .
Make a new test unplugging the power on the old one .
If it fails connect the old one again . and prepair to edit the boot.ini file.

The boot files are under root directory and are read only and hidden , so in explorer tools - folder options - view
select view hidden files and folders + OK .

this may seem like a stupid response but are your jumpers configured.

I tried what you said soaplover and it didnt work. And yes my jumper are correctly configurated and my disk is primary. My computer get stuck when i try to boot at Verifying DMI pool data....

Did you copy the boot files over to the new disk.
If the boot ini isn't working ,the pc should boot ,but you get the message NTLDR is missing (that as the boot ini points to wong partition number/disk). If you don get that reponse , well .....
Do you want to use two disks , you can have the old one there but dont format it. You can delete all thats on it except for the files under root level ,and you will be fine.

//Regards Soaplover

Just another thing .
When you are having the one new disk connected , remmove the master/slave jumper completly . That makes in configured as single .

//Regards Soaplover

lobodo44

If you installed XP on new drive with old drive in the machine, it will have created a dual boot - which will be using the boot sector on the old drive. So, there's no boot sector on new drive - so it won't boot on its own.

Suggest you do a new clean install with old drive not in machine (you can reconnect it afterwards).

If you want to 'repair' new drive, you can create a boot sector for it:-

Copy ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini from root of old drive to root of new. Run recovery console & then fixboot x: (where x: is the new drive's letter as seen from recovery console).
PS. You can create a boot floppy by copying same 3 files to newly formatted floppy disk (may need to edit boot.ini sometime - but probably not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back