Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcclSmokey

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi There

I have a Cisco 2503 which I want to flash but I cannot access the CLI via console. I can see the bootup sequence , POST, Version and interface state, but it just stops short of getting to the CLI prompt. It gets to the point where it shows the compiled date.

Is there a way to interupt the boot sequence so that I can flash a new image ?

Smokey

Smokey,

Since you are working with a 2500 I'll suggest this.

issue a control break durring the boot process>

you will be sent to a prompt that looks like

> or rommon 1>

enter confreg 0x2101
enter i

this sets the configuration register to 0x2101 and then boots the router.

Note# if you set the config regester and try to power cycle the 2500 your settings will NOT take affect (not like the newer routers).

This will boot you to a Router(boot)> mode where you can enter an IP address on the ethernet interface and do a tftp upgrade.

Once done upgrading you must go to config mode

Router(boot)#config term
Router(boot)(config)# configuration-register 0x2012
Router(boot)(config)# end
Router(boot)# write
Router(boot)# reload

that's it your done.

Thanks. Got to the prompt but there characters take an age to echo to the screen. Have checked the preferences and line and character displays are set to 0. I am using this Hyperterminal client on two other routers successfully.

Any ideas ?

I think the console port might be bad.

Is there anyway to access the CLI via the Aux port ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back