Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem. Need to install OS. PXE-E61: Media test failure error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dankeys

Technical User
Mar 16, 2007
TW
I bought 4 laptops from a company that erases data from computers that companies get rid of. I turn it on and it

goes through these messages.

1. F12= Network Service Boot (it quickly disappears)
2. Initializing Intel Boot Agent Version 2.6 (build 004)
3. Intel UNDI, PXE=2.0 (build 071)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Non-System disk or disk error -- replace and strike any key when ready (End of messages)

Putting bootable CDs in the drive doesn't work, and there's no floppy drive.

Pressing F10 gets me to the BIOS and here's what I find in there.

Title "Computer Setup 1.00

Boot options:
"QuickBoot" Enable/Disable
"MultiBoot"
Boot Order:
-NoteBook MultiBay
-NoteBook hard drive
-NoteBook Ethernet

Device Options:
Num Lock state at boot
Multiple pointing devices
USB legacy support
Internal display controller
Video out
Parallel port mode
Intel SpeedStep technology
Docking base Unique Identification
Processor Number

Device security:
(the whole list)

System IDs:
Notebook asset tag "....."
Notebook ownership tag "....." (two lines)
(are these important to set up?) I know the asset tag but not the ownership tag

Password stuff:

Restore defaults:
***********************************************************************************
Ok, that's all that is available in the BIOS.
I don't know what to do next. Do I have to boot from a network? And if so, can I set this up myself?

Please help!!!! I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Here are my computer specs:
Compaq Armada M700, P3, 750 MHz, 320 ram,

Refer to:

pages 5-17 and 5-18

See if the enabling MultiBoot allows you to include your CD-ROM in the boot sequence, although a quick read tells me it should be included already. Give it a shot and see what's available.

Have you tried booting all 4 laptops from a CD?

Yes I have tried all of them. And I tried all combinations of Bios options. If the CMOS battery is bad, would that cause this problem?

A bad CMOS battery would give a different symptom, usually some variation of "BIOS Checksum Error" error messages(s).

What type of bootable CDs are you trying, burned or pressed, and have you tried more than one CD?

What do you see when you change the MultiBoot option to enable? The manual I referenced does not elaborate on this at all.

I tried a few. Windows XP, 98 etc. I downloaded some files from bootable.com and burned the xpcd bootable but it didn't work. I burned the ISO file. Do I need to try a dos bootable? There's no difference when I change the multiboot option.

Are there any hard disk drives in the machines or were they removed by the security company? Either way, they should start from a CD if the CD drives are good.

David.

OMG, the dreaded Armada M700. Just threw away 6 of them because they're nothing but trouble.

NoteBook MultiBay

This is where you can put in a floppy or CD drive Bay, this is the one you need to boot from a CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back