Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem, Drive blinkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSSO

Technical User
Sep 15, 2004
GB
Hey, weird thing happen today, When i turned my pc on, it never loaded, neva got near the BIOS screen. The Light were blinkin on the my cd drives and the wer makin noises. i had to remove power from the socket to get it to turn on. I hav been havin problems with xp jus crashin, freezing like a picture, no blue screen etc.. Could it be the memory?

I hav:

M/B:Intel D875PBZLK
CPU:Intel P4 3.2Ghz 800FSB
RAM:2x 512mb 400DDR(PC3200) Kingston HyperX
GFX:Creative FX5900 128mb
HD:74Gb WD Raptor 10,000RPM S/ATA
160Gb Seagate 7,200RPM S/ATA
40Gb WD 7,200RPM ATA
SC:Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
PSU:Hiper 525W
CD/DVD:Liteon DVD-RW & Philips CD-RW

Unplug all drives (except master and floppy). Remove all boards except video. Check memory (program "memtest86" - runs off floppy (if you can't reset your boot order to boot off floppy, ignore this one). Try one stick of memory at a time.

I think it sounds like an overheating problem too, maybe a video card. Possibly memory. Are you getting any beep codes other than a single beep when booting? If you get a bad code then you can look it up by the MB manufacturer. Does it get worse the longer it's been on?

Try a different power supply, or try different power connectors to your drives... If it became overloaded for some reason, or blew a fuse, transistor, or something, then it could very well be your problem. If is a generic power supply (came with a case/computer preinstalled and not a name brand such as Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax, etc), then very well could be the power supply. If you have another power supply available to try, try swapping that out.. if not, then it may be worth buying another one... it definitely sounds like something is not connected correctly, your power supply is bad, or there is a hardware problem with at least one of those drives - another option would be to try replacing one of them with a spare (if available).

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

ok, it cant be overheating. it was turned on in the mornin, and the cpu idles at 36-37c, The fans are connected to the psu and do go on. Like i put above in my specs, i hav a Hiper 525W PSU, its a month old. I had a Thermaltake 480W PSU on it before and it did the same thing sometimes. The CD/DVD-Roms are recent to. They dont hav problems they work fine. The Computer neva came near the BIOS test. I think that the MB is usin the CD-Roms to warn me. The only thing i can think of it being is the memory or MB. This only happened 2-3 times, after i reset the power it starts up fine.

I'd read the manual for your power supply ... it might have an overvoltage switch in it that trips during a power spike or something?

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back