Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot magic does not let me boot into linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
I have win98se + best linux on my comp.
After i installed linux dual booting worked fine (i used lilo). But when i tried to use powerquest boot magic linux did not boot at all even though i set the native linux partition to boot.
The linux partition appears to be unbootable when i check it with boot magic.
How can i get dual booting to work with boot magic (v2.0)?

Hi,

What you have to do with these kind of boot loaders is put lilo in the linux partition in addition to having the boot magic loader in the master boot record. Boot Magic / System Commander, etc., will expect a boot record to be in the partition. This way you run boot magic first and when you select linux it then chain loads lilo.

So, you need to boot linux from floppy or CD and install lilo in the linux partition itself. Basically you edit /etc/lilo.conf and change 'boot = /dev/hda' to 'boot=/dev/hda5' (where /dev/hda5 is the actual linux partition). Then do '/sbin/lilo' to write the boot loader to the partition's boot sector, while leaving boot magic in the master boot record.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back