Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Magic and Config.sys problems on Windows Me 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
My old windows ME PC has started playing up for no apparent reason. It uses Boot Magic 8 to dual boot between different configurations.

Suddenly one of the configurations has lost its config.sys file. If I re-create it manually using notepad it is replaced by an empty file upon re-booting. This happens even if I set config.sys to be read only and a system file.

The same thing is happening to autoexec.bat.

I am 90% certain it is boot magic doing this, but can I find the manual - of course not! The help files aren't much use either.

Can anyone tell me what to do to reconfigure my correct config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

[navy]BeenThereDoneThat[/navy]

I've given you a star. Not because your suggestion was of any help, but because you reminded me about ME's protection scheme.

You stopped me continuing on the track of blaming BootMagic. A track I went down because it's help file suggests that resizing partitions can cause this behaviour and it gives you steps to take. Which didn't work, naturally.

Once I searched for how to get the £ back in Windows ME I realized it could be an msconfig issue. It was. Somehow I had lost the keyboard data filename. I reset it to keyboard.sys and hey presto - 1 re-boot later & all is well.

This is a summary of what I found on the net - just in case it helps someone else.

£ sign & Windows ME

Start MSCONFIG

Go to the International section, and make sure that the Code Page is 850, the Country Code is 44, and the Language ID is UK. And no, I don't know how to get a euro symbol in a DOS session.

Alternatively try ALT+156

check out as well

The International tab should contain the correct items under each section. The Country Data File Name, for example, should show ‘C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys’. And Display Data File Name should show C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi. The Code Page should be 850, and the Country Code should show 44. Keyboard Data File Name should be Keyboard.sys, and finally, Language ID should be ‘UK’. All presuming you are operating with the UK setup for your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back