Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot.ini missing - 10/10/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

THerman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

Noticed on our Windows 2000 Server today that the boot.ini file was missing. This was first noticed by an error in the Arcserve backup about this file missing. Restored file from a backup directory containing it, and all should be ok - just worried as have no idea why it dissapeared.

I thought this was a problem a while back with a corrupted dat in webshield, however this is fuly up to date.

Anyone else seen this happening? Just wondered if it was a random one or if t could be viral.

Thanks for any comments.

-Tim H

it is regular text file , not protected in any way ,
so I would think about some militious atack ... virus? - don't think so ... looks like someone is trying to sabotage ...

Alex,
MCP 2000

I notice that boot.ini missing problem occurs usually when you unsuccessfully applied patches, like webshiled. Sometimes even after completing the windows update you can have it also. So there's a 1001 reason for boot.ini to be missing. Suggestion: Make a boot disk.

Format a FDD and do the following;

Copy the following files to the disk
C:\NTLDR
C:\NTDETECT.COM
C:\BOOT.INI
C:\NTBOOTDD.SYS (for computers with SCSI hard drives on which NT is using an SCSI device driver and not the SCSI BIOS during system boot)

Test the Boot Disk by restarting, with the disk in drive A.

Now when you emcounter this problem, just boot from the drive A and copy its boot.ini to c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back