Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot.ini file missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gitszer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2002
IE
I have a HP LC2000 U3 server, 512MB RAM, Hardware RAID5 and running Win2k Server, Exchange Server, McAfee TVD Ver 4.5, Groupshield for Exch 2000 and Arcserve 2000 SP3. My problem is that occasionally the boot.ini just disappears. I ahve created a diak with the original boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect that will allow me to boot the server if these files are missing but I still cannot get to the bottom of why it is being deleted. I have run a full virus scan on several occasions and nothing found. No-one else has access to the server and I keep the administrator password very secret. Has anyone else experienced this or is this a known issue with some of the installed software that I am unaware of?

Hi, i dont have a solutions to your problem, but i have the same problem. I'm running a compaq Proliant with raid 5 (smart array 532) 512 Mb ram, etz sow, we are use different hardware, thats for sure. But i also use McAfee 4.5.1 and groupshield for exchange. I use ntbackup as backup solution. So if we compare this two pictures we have one thing in common (groupshield and netshield). I'm going to contact nai about this and see what they have to tell me and keep you informed.

Regards

T.

Hi, I currently support multiple customer sites from HP,Compaq,Dell,etc and all using NT4 or W2K Server or W2K Small Business. Recently I have experienced a number of sites where the boot.ini file keeps being deleted. Nearly all these customer have Groupshield and Netshield installed and your comments regarding a common senario really do concern me. I would be very interested if you do find a reason for the boot.ini file and I am currently seeking a number of avenues to resolve this I will gladly post any info as this is causing me untold problems and wasted time.

Regards

KITT2

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your response, I haven't figured this one out yet and it's really beginning to annoy me! Can one of you check your root directory for the preence of a file called BOOT.PCP or BOOT.PCR - I don't know what these files are but I think it may be something to do with the problem.... I have found a work around however - #when your system is booting OK and you have all of the following files in your root directory - copy them to a floppy disk - this will create a type of boot floppy for 2000 server. NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI - this has saved me quite a few times.....
Gitz

Same errors with Netshield and Groupshield.

Has somebody already found the solution, keep me informed.
I will do the same...

GRTZ,

Croco.:°)

same problem dell poweredge 2600 w/groupshield & netshield
running sbs 2000

I don't have an answer, but have any of you tried posting this to the McAfee AV board here on Tek-tips?
-Steve

mcaffee acknowledges this proble with webshield but dosen't with netshield and groupshield. they say it happens when an autoupdate fails. i installed all the latest patches and havent had the problem lately.

Well, I am so glad it's not just me! This is the second time this has happened to me and I thought I was going crazy!

boot.ini gets replaced with a boot.pcp
We run Netshield and GroupShield
Compaq ProLiant

However, we don't use the MS autoupdate feature. But after the first time, I've got my handy bootdisk at the ready and will now and forever check for the boot.ini before rebooting. I've copied the file to a folder elsewhere on the server, as well, so if I need to reboot remotely, I can be prepared. Nothing like trying to boot from beyond and it not coming up to get your heart started!

Thank you for the info!

Juli

Haven't finalized which application is doing it, but boot.pcp is boot.ini. If you edit boot.pcp, you will find the same information for .ini. Try to rename the file. The boot sequence will revert back to normal.

If anyone can verify if the problem is with McAfee or anything else PLEASE let us know.

When I called McAfee to inquire about the problem, we realized that I was using the newest .dat file but not the newest engine and they felt that this was most likely the cause of the problem, as that engine with that .dat file are not tested together. However, they also recommended that I also upgrade to the newest version of GroupShield. I upgraded the engine, as well as GroupShield and have not had the problem since.

Mcafee GroupShield for Microsoft Exchange 2k,
Nobody should still be using groupshield 4.5 for exch2k this was an interim product and has now been pull from support at mcafee.

version 5 for exch2k had a problem similer to what people are seeing here but it only occurs once after installing groupshield and then updating and it may not happen then if it does not happen to remove the boot.ini then then it won't do it at all,

version 5.2 which is the latest does not have this problem

I'm not sure about this, its just a suggestion. Have you tried changing the security/properties of boot.ini to read only?

I know this has not been a problem for us since we upgraded both NetShield and GroupShield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back