Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot.ini default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulreg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
GB
I have a strange problem.
I have a 2 x XP dual boot configuration.
Both installs will boot OK if I select either of them at startup.
If I let the time elapse and allow the default to start, windows gets as far as the message windows is starting and then freezes.
My default line in boot.ini seems to point to the same place as my first XP install.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I can't see any obvious errors in your boot.ini. Have you tried recreating the file and replacing the current one?

What about changing the default operating system, does it then work?

What about removing the line for the second operating system, does it load the first line after 30 seconds?

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

How long has it been doing this, has it ever worked correctly?

The BOOT.INI File of Microsoft® Windows™ NT/2000/XP/2003

Well, the next day it wouldn't even boot the default. Although it did get further. I had to reinstall XP on that partition.
Thanks
Paulreg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back