Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot image size exceeds system limit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelldis

MIS
Jun 17, 2005
EU
AIX 5.2 ml7
with the following option:

Enable System Backups to install on any system yes

After doing a scripted mksysb and savevg I get the following error:

Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg.

Creating tape boot image........
bosboot: Boot image is 26951 512 byte blocks.

***** ATTENTION *****
The boot image you just created might fail to boot because the size exceeds the system limit. For information about fixes or workarounds, see /usr/lpp/bos.sysmgt/README.
***** ATTENTION *****

all the fixes and updates that handle this issue are already present on the server.
does anyone have a clue on what the problem is? and how to fix it?

thnx,

Michelle

By the way the current limit is 12Mb

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

mrn,
Thnx for the reply,

Which firmware would that be? and exactly what is the 12Mb limit of what? and how can I reduce that?

Michelle

The 12Mb limit is the maximum size of your boot image. The one your trying to write is just over 13Mb. If you tell me the model of your server I'll find the firmware upgrade for you. Can you post the output of the prtconf command. (Just the first block before the I.P info.

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

mike,

Thanks for your pateince :)
heres the config you requested:
System Model: IBM,9111-520
Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5
Number Of Processors: 2
Processor Clock Speed: 1499 MHz
CPU Type: 64-bit
Kernel Type: 64-bit
LPAR Info: 1 65-7D8EA
Memory Size: 7808 MB
Good Memory Size: 7808 MB
Firmware Version: IBM,SF235_180
Console Login: enable
Auto Restart: true
Full Core: false

Michelle

Jump to this page

search down the list for 9111-520 & Version SF235_185 (It's at the bottom)

Read & understand this

Then download this

If your really not sure about what your doing (It can get tricky if your using a HMC managed system) contact IBM and report the original problem. This way if it all go's wrong you'll have some support at the end of the phone.

If you need any more help please just ask.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back