Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOOT FROM USB CD-ROM DRIVE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deco1josh

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
FR
I own a Fujitsu C-4135 Lifebook. My laptop CD-rom drive has suddenly refused to function, I think the CD drive may have gone bad? My flopy drive is not reliable either.I like to reformat my hard disk and and reinstall the operating system (Win 98).

I have another externak CD-R/RW drive (Freecom)using USB. This external USB CD drive is working perfectly. Can I boot from this USB drive? On the power-up screen I see my BIOS as Phoenix Notebios 4.06 and in the BIOS setup under the Hard Drive of Boot Sequence I can see the Hard disk and what the computer called "Bootable Add-in Cards"

Please help with suggestions.

Sounds to me like your external CD-RW will only work after USB is activated by your Operating System, Windows98.
Check your BIOS for a boot from USB device. If not there, you will not be using it for that purpose.

The test continues...

Good searching KIDA1973! Sorry for the misinformation, deco1josh.

The test continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back