Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot from portable CDROM to install image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etogo

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
ok, here's my problem. I want to use some recovery cds that came with a toshiba 3020 that does not include a cdrom. To use these cds i have to boot from the cdrom. Now my problem is that im using a portable cdrom and i dont know how to boot from one of those. Could anyone offer some advice?

A CDROM needs a driver either on the harddrive or on a Floppy normally. If you had a windows 98 boot disk you could try to plug the drive in and then boot from the boot disk and see if a driver is configured for it.

You would have to have a DOS driver to get this to work. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks, yes, i already have a bootdisk with the necessary drivers to see my portable CDROM, but what i want to do is boot from this cdrom. What's happening right now is i boot from the floppy and then the system detects my CDROM, i have access to it and everything. But i have to boot from the CD to use the recovery CDs. I think i should have to configure one of the files on the floppy or something like that but im just not sure which and how.

Thanks anyways :)

Are you sure the recovery CD's are for the Toshiba? I had a Toshiba from the era of yours and it did not come with recovery CD's, as it did not have a CD-ROM. Toshiba would not give CD's for a non CD system.

If u are using a portable CD rom and trying toinstall on the "other" system. change the bios and have the 1st boot be the CD rom.
i thinki know what ur trying to do. and it might work if yes the 2nd CD is toshiba and is recognized by the RESTORE CD as being authorized.

"GOOD LUCK"
Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

When a computer boots up it does a self diagnostic during the boot process, then it executes config.sys if it is present, then it executes Autoexec.bat if it is present. Might have to include himem.sys as a device in the config.sys to be able to run certain programs.

On the floppy make a file Autoexec.bat or edit the existing copy on the boot disk to execute the install program on the CD.

They make a person take a test to drive a car, but anyone can drive a PC, until something goes wrong . . . .

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

This is a very tricky problem. The driver situation is such that at least 3 drivers need to be installed to fire up the PCMCIA ports. Once these are in place the cd rom drivers and MSCDEX need to be installed. The IBM starter disk has about five CDROM drivers on it, 3 for the ultra bay devices and two for PCMCIA devices. Of course my PCMCIA CDROM was not one of them. I spent days trying to manipulate this disk but without the result I needed. In the end I used the fdisk on the setup disk (it was win95b you could use a win98 starter disk) to format the hard drive into a C Drive and a D drive Fat16 for both. I then Used Dos 7 to format the C drive again and installed DOS with PCMCIA support. This recognised the setup D partition. I then copied my Win98se Upgrade to D drive from the CDROM. I then went back to the setup disk and reformatted C:\ /s to write the system files.(Dos files don't work). With the setup disk still loaded I changed Directory to win98se and issued Setup. It looks for a valid windows to upgrade. I just told it the location was A drive and started feeding win3.11 floppy disks in. After 4 it said OK and installed. Sorry I talked IBM but that is my system unit. i have used this procedure on a 770 and a 560z and a 560x.

regards Michael

If it's got feathers and it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back