Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot from fiber channel tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftlane

MIS
Nov 7, 2003
US
AIX 5.1
p620
Feature 6228 fiber channel card

Is it possible to boot from a locally connected fiber channel tape device (i.e. fc IBM 3590 or STK 9840 / 9940)?

I'm having no luck with my STK 9840 drives, as expected. It doesn't see it when I enter the SMS menus at boot. Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried this. It'd be nice if I could perform system backups to a fast drive instead of an 8mm unit.

Thanks

I have done this with a 3590B drive over standard scsi, have not tried fibre.

do you see your hba being recognized as the host is doing its firmware checks? for instance, when watching a 6h1, i'll see msgs for each emulex hba on the system (after all a 6228 is really an emulex card) being sent to console.

just wondering...

Interesting about the 3590B over SCSI. In a pinch I could conjure one up and go that route, but that doesn't keep me in the STK silos like I had hoped for (only STK drives in my STK silos).

Yeah, as I recall (for what that's worth) I see the HBA location code getting shown on the led as it boots.

I spoke with IBM Support (CALLAIX) to get their "official" take on it. In short: nope, not supported. Apparently they just started supporting boot from fiber channel disk - didn't ask which ones - but nothing for the tape and no estimate on when that functionality might come about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back