Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot from CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzito

ISP
Jan 8, 2002
US
My Dilemma:

Need to get a Compaq Deskpro XL 6150 to boot from the cd-rom drive (SCSI).

If I just boot the computer up, it passes POST and loads DOS. There is no other OS installed. If I press any key during POST (trying to enter the BIOS so I could set the pc to boot from the CD drive 1st), it returns a keyboard error. The keyboard works fine after POST. I've installed the latest ROMpaq firmware updates. I went through the system configuration utility (SoftPaq)--> output below. If I insert a CD into the drive it will spin and light up, but that's it. I've also tried an IDE CD drive and same deal.

From a DOS prompt I've entered in every drive letter from a-z and it only recognizes a: How do I get this thing to run a CD-ROM?

Below are my current settings from the system configuration utility to give more insight...

I'm not that familiar w/ configuring older Compaqs ...Is the system configuration utility the equivalent of a BIOS? If not, how do I get into the BIOS if I continually get a keyboard error during boot?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...oh I also cleared the CMOS settings by resetting the jumpers, still no joy.

============================================================

Integrated diskette controller
Standard interface primary address
Drive A 1.44-Megabyte (3.5 inch)

Integrated Fixed Disk Controller
Standard Interface Enabled as second Controller
Drive Type - Unit 1 CD-ROM

Integrated SCSI BIOS Enabled

Embedded - Integrated PCI SCSI-2 Controller
SCSI Resources Enabled
Controller Order First

Attached Devices
SCSI ID 0 Compaq 2.10-GB Hard Drive
SCSI ID 5 Compaq PD-1 LF-1094C CD-ROM

Some Compaq's use the F10 key for BIOS/CMOS If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It doesn't matter which key I hit, I still get the keyboard error. I've tried all the Function buttons, ALT, DEL, and different combinations to no avail.

Thx anyways, any other suggestions?

Get yourself a working windows 98 boot disk, it'll have cd rom drivers. Check fdisk, and make sure you have good fat partitions. If you don't have a boot disk, you can make them from any windows 98 machine.

Jeff

Later Compaqs sit there for a while with an underline cursor, then move to a block cursor in the top right for about 3 cycles of blink, then continue booting.
While the block cursor is in top right you use the [F10] key to get BIOS control for setting CMOS.
Once in BIOS you can set the boot order.
Been a while since I've been into a XL so I'm not certain that it matches the rest of the deskpros. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my Windows 98 Machine.
During the POST i got this error:

Error
0221:Keyboard Error

Error
0210:Stuck Key FF

Keyboard is working fine, and it is attached.
Any ideas?
Marko

Benzito
If you want to run your CDROM drive after booting up from a floppy you need two files first Ur CDROM driver file which you have to include in config.sys file on the floppy and the mscdex file which as to be included in the autoexec.bat file.

The F-10 key works only from cold boots,so make sure you are shutting the power down for the computer and then when you boot up keep on pressing the F-10 key,you will get the keyboard error press F-1 to continue and keep on pressing the F-10 key and U will get the BIOS prompt. Hopefully.

Markisa,
If seems you have an old keyboard,and one of the buttons hasnt restored correctly.It is a good idea to try pressing the commonly used keys like ALT,CTRL<spacebar,enter as one of them could be stuck. Once you press the faulting key hard,the keyboard will work fine.

amit
crazy_indian@lycos.com

to bug is human to debug devine

Do you have a restore floppy and cd set with this pc? If so,
on the floppy there should be a setup or install program that will install the scsi drivers and also make the neccesary entries into the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. If not, a Win98 boot disk should at least get the cd rom running.

ive just got a Compaq armada 1700, and im having a few problems. when ever i turn it on i get the same message
&quot;NON system disk or disk error&quot;
ive tried running my boot disk but nothing works. can any1 help me. i dont hav a boot cd is this a problem as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back