Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOOT from CD problem.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerncross1

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
AU
after format hdd the pc can't boot from bootable xp or win98se CD's, the same CD's will autorun if an os is installed (xp or 98')....bios is set for CD-RW first.....can boot from floppy ok.........cd-rw has current driver/aspi installed fresh outa ideas anyone heard or had this problem? tia

happydownloader, thanks I do have those but need to be able to boot from the cd..

Lemon13, all ok there..
will keep looking:)

autorun and boot are two pair of shoes, check the cd´s on another pc (boot).
did you clear bios?
what pc is it (by any chance a siemens-fujitsu)?

Hi Lemon13.......I do have an ide cd-rom fitted to the pc however it has been disabled for 2 yrs. because of suspected burnt-out (non-read and smell) I uninstalled it via device mgr. recently in an attempt to eliminate it totally from the boot/cd problem...

The remaining drive is a sony cd-r/rw-crx-145s (scsi).....this drive is seen at boot according to this msg received "boot from ATAPI cd-ROM" but when the cd's in question are loaded get "bootable cd non exist"..

1)Am with you re autorun and boot the cd's reported to boot on friends pc ok?
2)All I have done in bios is change boot sequence to cd-rw/floppy/hdd last....What do you mean by clear?
3)Comp. is Hybrid p3/800mhz/a-open mb ax34/xp pro.

"boot from ATAPI cd-ROM" is a message from the OS, has nothing to do with the state of the CD drive. Try another CD drive.

where is the scsi cd connected, when i look for ax34 it only has ide onboard. what scsi controller are you using?

@mikker377 is right, this message comes from bios and means it tries to boot from cd, not more.

micker377 yes I don't get this os/bios msg anymore as I have disconnected the cd-rom ide drive internally however there is no similar msg that the os/bios sees the sony cd-r/rw-crx-145s (scsi)drive?

are you sure the adapter is bootable?
does it have a own bios/is bios coming up on start?

No I'm not sure at all Lemon13 but do know if it does have it's own bios it can't be seen at start/boot....I had an hour at their site (adaptec.com) while not the worlds best searcher I couldn't find any reference to my scsi card at all..?

After searching around for awhile, I sincerely doubt the AIC-7850 is bootable. A new IDE CD-ROM seems to be the best course if you insist on booting from CD.

Am finally comming to agree with your presumption Freestone and will think hard regarding hardware on future pc's eg A drive,CD drive and particular scsi drives/card.

Think it an appropriate time to thank the contributors to this thread.....southerncross.

CD-Roms are pocket money prices nowadays anyway. Is there a particular need for a scsi device or is it just a 'leftover' from days gone by?

happydownloader, thanks I do have those but need to be able to boot from the cd

Out of curiosity, why is the need to boot from CD required? A Windows ME boot disk from the site posted by happydownloader has ASPI drivers that should enable access to your SCSI CD-ROM.

Am running xp and while having several sets of boot/startup disks that I boot from after formating, there was an option to quit the A: drive and use all scsi dvd/cdrw/combo drives (except the hdd's)off the existing card/controler,needles to say it's easier to go with ide and keep A: as well if room permits.......cost effective too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back