Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot file not found on device...

Status
Not open for further replies.

citizenx

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
ES
Hi, I'm trying install Irix 6.5.4 on O2 workstation in a clean disk, I follow all steps, fx(auto), install miniroot, dependencies, install the base system, and all ok, but, when the system reboot, appears the message:

"boot file not found on device: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/sash
unable to boot; press any key to continue:"

can you help me, I'm a beginner with SGI's systems...

Thanks for all.

Hi citizenx,

The part of your message that is very suspicious is the reference to the standalone shell "/sash" at the end of the string. It shouldn't be a reference to the shell when looking for the UNIX kernel. The UNIX kernel in IRIX is a file called "unix" in your / directory. I believe your message is confused because it is trying to load "/sash" when what it really needs to load is the boot kernel that resides in "/unix".

"boot file not found on device: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/xxxx
unable to boot; press any key to continue:"

To see if you have data on your scsi drive (after you do the installation), try running miniroot (be very careful with miniroot, just a word of caution!). Hit escape when the OS says "System is coming up". Run diagnostics for your system and verify your scsi drive is accessible. Then, run the standalone shell (sash). Once there, do an "ls" to your pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8) and try to locate the /unix file. If it is there, then you will probably have to run the installation again and make sure your reference to the boot file is valid, that means a valid pci number, scsi, disk, rdisk, and partition number.

There might be other issues involved, but I will wait to see what you get after running miniroot.

Regards,
Julio C Quijada

Hi quijadajc,

I had been see your email, and the problem is about boot, and yes, the boot file is locate in the /unix directory, and two days ago, I try the installation again, and it was sucessfull, I'm not sure why, but in this installation, the steps were these:

- on the computer
- insert cd1 installations tools and overlays, Irix 6.5.5
- esc to maintenance menu
- shell
- hinv -> id scsi cdrom (4)
- boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sashARCS dksc(0,4,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x
- fx, (r) repartition, (ro) rootdrive, xfs and all ok.
- fx, (re) resize swap partition, 128 Mbytes.
- fx, (la) label, (this step is new, is the first time that I do it, before I didn't) I check all parameters of partitions, id scsi, boot directory, etc. all ok.
- exit, and save all changes.

- in maintenance menu, install sofware.
- in the install sofware menu, admin
- mkfs to create new file system
- and finally install distributions, four cds,

1. Installation Tools
2. Foundation 1
3. Foundation 2
4 .Applications

and finally reboot and ok, it's appears an Irix system shell, I don't understand it, but the trouble disappeared...now I will install xwindows, and software.

Thanks for all Julio.
Regards.

Iñigo Tomé.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back