Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjump

Vendor
Feb 28, 2003
US
Boot Failure

I am in the process of rebuilding this old computer and have the following problems. I need some help in getting pointed in the right direction. I hope I’ve given enough information.

On start up the computer goes through the first part of the boot and you can see all of the hardware detected.
==================================================================
Then when it gets to:
PM2: 4E
SDRAM at Bank # : 1
Searching for boot record from floppy “Not Found”
Searching for boot record from CD-ROM “Not Found”
Searching for boot record from SCSI “Not Found”

Boot Failure:
Insert Boot Diskette In A:
Press any Key When Ready

=====================================================================

I tried a Win 98 Boot up disk but it didn’t work
I tried an old NAV Rescue disk and I was able to scan the memory but could not scan the master Boot, Boot Records or Files. It then asked me to insert the Batch Files. I don’t have this disk.

I made a new NAV rescue disk from a Win 98se machine. When I tried it in the machine I was having problems with it said this disk was not made from this computer and could damage the files if you proceed.
I don’t know what to do at this point Can anyone help.

Thank you,

pjump

PC 100 Excel Mother Board
400MHz Celeron Processor
AMI Bios 10/13/1999 S
61-1013-00101111-071595 ALI1621 M726MRT
Video card 3dfx Voodoo 16 Meg
On board sound
16 speed Cod-Rom
2gig Seagate HD

Check your floppy connection ! Is the light on all the time ? If it is then the cable needs to be checked. Light on all the time is usually a sign that the cable is round the wrong way.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi, Thanks for the response
The floppy is connected ok. for sure.

pjump

Your hard drive is not booting. Make sure it is seen by bios and then boot to the win98 startup disk and see if you can go to the C: drive. Let us know what happens.

I would suspect that your CMOS settings have been lost by a battery failure.
If it is a recharagable , let it recharge, then set the CMOS and try again. If not a rechargable battery, you could try setting the CMOS as it is booting up and see if it will come up with the correct settings. If so, then a battery change is indicated. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

IS your Hard drive SCSI or IDE? IF it is IDE connected you need to set it in the boot sequence to HDD-O/IDE-0

Got it!
I replaced the HD IDE cable and in the CMOS I selected the optimal settings and checked to insure the HD was detected.
After that I was able to boot up and do FDISK, I then reformatted and installed win98. On the first reboot Trend Chipaway detected a virus. I then got my “NAV Basic Rescue Boot Floppy” I went through the rescue steps, Rebooted right into windows. So It was a combination of things.

I want to thank all of you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back