Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedmt1981

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
AE
Dears
we have v210 sun system with tow hard disks
c1t0d0 and c1t1d0

we have mirrored the root FS between them

c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0

the system usually boots from c1t0d0s0 we tried to boot form the other disk c1t1d0s0 so we removed the first one

the steps that we made in the PROM level

ok show-disks
/pci@1c,600000/scsi@2,1/disk

so we select the other disk above

ok nvalias mydev ^y
which pastes the selected disk

ok boot mydev

our system refuses to boot

could you please help me with this issue

many many thanks in advance

After you mirrored the root FS, did you install the boot blocks on the second disk (by using the /usr/sbin/installboot command) ?

Once you created an alias, did you save it so that it would survive a reset/power off (by using the nvstore command) ?

I hope that helps.

Mike

Is installboot required when you mirror using Disksuite or Veritas ?

I was under the impression that you don't need to.

As far as I know (can remember) DiskSuite mirrors the partitions (or slices) not all the sectors of a disk so the 'disklabel' (VTOC) and bootblock (which are held in the first 16 disk sectors) do not get mirrored. I stayed away from Veritas, so I cannot comment on it.

I hope that helps.

Mike

When you set up disksuite mirror on boot drives intalling the boot block on the mirrored drive is part of the procedure you need to do inorder to make it bootable.

Veritas from what I remember does not require this step.

CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back