Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot failure after typing the wrong confreg register 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yegor

ISP
May 24, 2000
NL
The problem, after power on the Cisco Router 1601, the system won’t boot.
After 2 seconds, the only thing what I see is some strange characters.
Also waiting for a while doesn’t help.
the Break key also doesn’t help (windows 2000, Hyper Terminal Ver6.1).
I get no any response from the Router.

The problem started when I tried the Password recovery procedure, I typed a complete wrong Register in the Confreg. (what is was thinking, having holydays!)
After this, the router seems dead to me! I never saw ROMMON.
The cables are perfect, tested this with another router.
Tried another Flash card (for why I don’t know, but hopped for that he would like to feel something new!!!!!!!)

So, anybody have suggestion or experienced the same problem!!

Hi

I have the same problem.I changed the boot register value to 2124 in a password recovery prosses, now router works prefect but i can not access it form console any more!
How can I cange the boot register value to its original?
I can telnet to it but i forget ther enable password too!

Thanks for helping me.

J.Ekrami

Hi.
The default config-reg value is 0x2102.
conf t
config-r 0x2102
^Z
copy run star

I have had the same problem there does not seem to be a solution
jekrami (TechnicalUser)how did they change the boot register when they are unable to log into the router!
The Break key also doesn’t work either.
All I get from the console Output is CCCCCCC.

Have you had any joy with the router, I have a 1603R
I know the Flash Card still works tried it in another machine.
The OK light flashes and it would not boot.

Plug your console cable into the router at standard settings 9600-8-n-1 no flow control (Try using terminal instead of hypertrm - from the old windows 3.1 - I find it a much easier terminal to configure and it's a little more standard)
Boot the router and tap the break sequence (either ctrl+break or ctrl+shift - 6 - x). This should take you to a > prompt. enter e/s 2000002 this will show you the current setting of config reg. enter q to return to the > prompt then set the confreg using "o/r 0x2102" then reboot the router and you should have a normal boot.

yes, i think the Cisco Router is a pleasure to work with after you learned how to work with it....
For so far, the cisco routers is doing their work just good.

As for the problem, i didn't resolved, maybe there exist a soluton, but i can't wait for years when i found the sollution...
I just returned the Router to my supplier and i received a new Cisco 1601 router. i prefer the easiest way if it's the fastest way for to help my customers. But i am still interested if there exist a sollution for this problem.

Hi everyone!

I found my problem, during the changing the boot register i ws changed the speed of consloe (baoud rate from 9600 to 19200) and that was the main reason of not accessing the router, not the worng boot register value.
I tried the speeds from 1200 up to 19200 and i saw the rigth screen in 19200, then carefully I made a password recovery and now is everythings OK.
Thanks for replying

jekrami (TechnicalUser)
I don't quite understand what you did and did not do the figure out the issue. can you please repeat for the benefit of others like myself to did not understand.
thanks

H got a replacement from his vendor. Strange characters are normally from a wrong setup lets say 9600,N,8,and 1.
Try to change the baud rate. <---- Given thats your problem. If not please post more information so we can try and help you out. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I tired to change the password on a 1700 Cisco router, and
after I reboot the router it just hangs with some strange
characters (JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ). Now it just hangs wount boot anymore into setup. Can some one help please.
Thanks.
Thanks for any help.

Check your terminal settings - try different values of baud rate, start at 2400 and work upwards.

Restting the config register to password recovery settings as per the online documentation will reset the settings to baud 9600, 8 data bits, no stop bits, 1 parity bit and no flow control. So you may like to try 9600 first.

Cheers.
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back