Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
This just plain annoys me! How can a create a boot disk in Windows 2k? I went to create a boot disk to do a BIOS update and I can't make it bootable? Do I have to dual boot just to get that ability? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

There is a boot disk (BOOTDISK) subdir on the Win2K CD. I've got it copied to my PC. Normally, it is used to make 4 floppies that boot a PC in preparation for a Win2K install.

The on-line help for Backup states that to use a "Repair diskette", start your computer with the Win2K CD or Win2K setup floppies.

You can create this Repair diskette from within Backup.

Bill.

But how would this help me? I repair computers on my spare time, I need to be able to create a boot disk when I need one, not wait 20 mins to create 4 disks then have to modify the disk to get what I need to be a "clean" boot disk. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

You can create the boot disks from the "bootdisk" directory on the win2K CD when you get a few minutes. The "repair disk" is specific to the system you run it on. The boot disks are not.

Create them, take them with you. Save them. There will be 4 of them.

Consider optionally creating a Win98 boot disk as a backup - just so you can boot to a A prompt.

Bill.

That is what I am trying to get at! A "standard" Windows 98 boot disk! How do I create one?

I want a boot disk with to get to a command prompt to to BIOS updates, run my custom technicians disk, etc. I can't do that in Windows 2k can I? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

A "Win2K boot disk" is actually "Win2K boot disks".

You'll be prompted with the usual setup options. Press "R" to repair/recovery. From there select "start recovery console". This will give you access to a limited cmd.exe maintenance shell.

Bill.

... You aren't listening. I know about the stupid Windows 2k boot disk. I don't care about those. My question is how do I create a boot disk like the good o'l days of DOS?

I have used the command 'format a: /s'

That command creates a bootable disk. But it doesn't anymore! How do I create one of these? Or will I have to dual boot to DOS or Windows 9x to just create a stupid boot disk?? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Thank you, mwtakahas, that will help. Will this work for Windows 9x disks as well? Or don't you know? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Mike,

Aside from being polite to people trying to help you and give you advice, we think you should stick to AS/400 programming and leave the technical stuff to us experts.
Have a nice day. ;-)

TechMan

Sorry, I was just a bit annoyed that bjverzal wasn't listening to the question (not the only problem going on). My Bad :-(. Sorry bjverzal!

I do know hardware and software very well. I just haven't run across that before and was wondering if it could be done. He could have just stated that "No that can't be done, but you can make 2k boot disks by going here". Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Koldark,

Windows 2000 will not natively create a bootdisk like Win98 or 95 does. It will not write DOS system files to a disk via format command. There are 2 options:
Use the CA_Antivirus folder on the 2K setup CD to make a bootdisk, or go 3rd party. Personally, I use win98boot.exe to make my boot disks. Its a small executable that gets the job done. So it's not included on Win2K - but at least you got your answer on how to get one created, and where to get the file from. (Better than dual-booting dont ya think?)

jeremybarker sent a link to win98boot.exe - but i'll post another link in case you missed it while freaking out.. haha

you love us - just admit it. ;)
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Thanks guys... yes... I did miss that for some reason :-/

Thanks all for your help! It will be a great tool to add to my Tech Disk! Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back