Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Disk with USB Drivers. WinXP setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdc80

Technical User
May 28, 2002
US
Hello I'm trying to load Win Xp Pro. on a laptop without a CD Drive. I have an Ext. USB drive and need to make a boot disk with support for it. I'm not sure how to go about it.
Has anyone done this before. Thanks for any Help.

Are you proposing installing XP on the USB HDD and transfer to the laptop drive? What you wrote isn't clear. The easiest thing to do is use a USB CDrom drive.

Unless you have a version of Win98/98SE/ME/2000 installed you won't have USB support for the Zip drive.

Since you don't have a built-in CD drive I'd bet the BIOS also does not support USB devices. That came on later Notebooks and Desktops.

i think it would be help full if you ask the manufacturer wat other options you ahve because most operating systems come on cd's .

and is the usb... cdrom drive given by the manufacturer of your laptop... i mean did it come along with your laptop?

if so... he must have given you support for usb... so that you can set up your usb drive as a booting option so that you can easily install Xp prof... because Xp. Prof comes in a bootable cd.. unless it is a pirated one.

kewlcoder.

Sorry about the confusion. The USB drive is a CD-ROM. The HDD is the internal HDD. The BIOS doesn't support the EXT. drive.The OS I have is a new Win XP CD, But I need to boot from the floppy and go to the CD Drive and install XP. I not sure how to do this. I would to copy the i386 folder to the hdd and then install from there. Thanks Again for the Help!

A Win 98 startup disk with "start with CD rom" should give you the start to switch to the CD rom.

The WinXP Setup floppy set [maybe Win2000 also] may give USB support [haven't tried it] but no other version of Windows has USB support until the OS is installed. It's back to basic DOS with those versions that boot to the floppy and DOS doesn't do USB. As far as I've experienced, you'd need a floppy that first gives support for the USB ports and then have the CD drivers load to recognize/give access to the drive and I've not seen that to be possible.

thats the same thread, but links are working for dos usb2.0 download.

Basically, you can find DOS drivers for your USB CDROM, CDRW, DVDROM and HDD drives from Panasonic's website in Japan. There are at least two versions of USB drivers there. These drivers are initially wrote for Panasonic USB CDROM, CDRW, DVD, HDD drives, but they are kind of universal and support almost all USB devices and laptops, including non-Panasonic ones. You just need to try and find out the right one that works for your specific USB drive and laptop. The one that works is the USB driver for Panasonic KXL-RW31AN CD-R/RW drive, found here (KXLRW31AN.EXE):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back