Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot disk on cd (instead of 4 floppies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuneyej

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
I know I came across at least one thread a while back where this was talked about, but I'm unable to find it now.

Can this be done easily? Just about everyone here has a laptop and most come shipped without a floppy drive.

Thanks,
JP

Change you bios to make sure the boot sequence is CD first, then HD, insert the CD and reboot.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand I can boot from an OS installation cd, I don't have one available to me in this office. My question is...can the 4 floppy bootdisk set for W2K be burned to a bootable cd somehow?

Thanks,
JP

Tried it, wouldn't work. I'd think the .exe file would have to be rewritten to remove the prompts for inserting the next disk.

landlubber,

Thanks for your efforts! I was going to give that a try, but you saved me the trouble. :)

while its no trivial task you might still be able to do it by using the "Bootable Windows 2000 installation CD-Rom " section of this webpage.....

Bart is great for a recovery utility ..

If you have access to another computer with nero and a 3.5 .. you can create your own dos boot cd.

download a win98SE dos image from put it on a 3.5 .. and put the image on the 3.5

load up nero .. click new browse to CDROM (boot) click on the boot tab and select A: (where the boot image is)
click the new tab (you'll see a tiny bit of the cd usage used .. that's your boot stuff..) if you want you can add handy dandy files at this point (or not) and hit the burn button

You can also do it without a 3.5 if you can make the boot image a .IMA file .. I don't know how to do that .. amybe someone else can shed some light on it.

~Shmoes

Thanks for the info, everyone. Some really helpful information there.

Ideally, I wanted to come up with a way I could use W2K's recovery console off a cd, without the cd being a full installation cd.

Thanks again!

JP

If you want a great trouble shooting disc .. although not windows..

I notice the link above was for a how to create a boot cd.. but this link (same guy) is for the pre-installed environment

~Shmoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back