Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkuti

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2003
KE
well, my computer was officially running on win 98. Then after some time it started hunging up, it wouldn't respond to anything at all. since even the keyboard was frozen up & ctrl+alt+del wouldn't work I shut it down via the off button & restarted it.Then it came up with the dreaded 'boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter'.
Whenever I got lucky I was able to start it, but then the mouse wouldn't show.I could go to safe mode couple of times and even that it got frozen sometimes.
I took the easiest way by formatting the PC. I still get the 'boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter' message.
How do I get out of this?

Out of frustration I've for

More than likely your hard drive has failed and the only solution is a new one. If you can still occasionally get into the disk, copy all important files off of the hard drive so you have them to put on the new drive.

Deffinitely sounds like a hard drive going bad. Couple things to try are a new IDE cable, you can swap it with the cd-rom cable for testing purposes. Next, use a boot disk to get to a DOS prompt and type in "chkdsk c: /f", assuming your hard drive is drive C. If it finds a bunch of errors and marks bad sectors get what you can off the drive before it dies completely. If it finds no errors try "fdisk /mbr" with the boot disk.

Thanks buddies. Going to try all those options and let you know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back