Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Disk Failure HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatahoulaHound

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
US
My XP-Pro box gave me a "BOOT DISK FAILURE" msg. this morning and I've been trying to repair. I booted from XP CD and went into repair console. There I copied files from "\repair" into "\config" folder and restarted. I got the same msg.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I try to repair the boot from repair console? This is my first attempt at using the repair console.
I’ve not installed any new h/w or s/w recently.

Thanks So Much
Pat

I would give the Repair Boot thing from the windows disk a go ... also Run CHKDSK on the HDD to check for any corruption.

Thanks,

Rob

TamedTech, thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the repair boot, nothing to loose I suppose. I did run chkdsk and it reported no problems.

Pat

CatahoulaHound.

You could try to repair the MBR on the drive by using the "fixmbr" cmd in the console. Yous can also try "chkdsk /p" to locate anomalies & fix. and others. They are listed with instructions on use in the following link:

Recovery Console

Hope This Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Well, as it turns out, nothing worked. Had to reformat drive and start over. I really sort of knew it when I started here but thought I would as just the same. Thanks to all that viewed and helped.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back