Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot=Blue STOP screen. NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat101

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi;
On a machine running xpHome SP2, I suddenly upon boot, get the blue screen with message:
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS
STOP: 0X00000035(.....)

I can boot into SAFE MODE only, which I did in order to:
a) UnInstall McAfee
b) Modify the registry per article 177078 in MS KB. I had to create a new entry, IPRStackSize which I have since tried with values of 18 and 36 decimal, to no avail.

I have NOT added *any* hardware to the system prior to this.

Also, the hardware seems ok, since thankfully this is a dual-boot system and it boots Linux just fine. But I need my Windows as well.
Please advise.
Thanks;
-nat

Are you able to use system restore to go back a few days to before this happened? That's the first I try these days with weird problems like that.

Seems like I have restore option off! When I choose "try last configuration that worked" from the boot screen, there is some disk activity, and then back to the blue screen.

-nat
ps. To compound the problem, I have to boot into linux to post here, and need to re-boot to try any suggestions. (Safe mode is almost unuseable since my apps and desktop is set for 1280x1024.) TA

It looks awfully similar. My url is:
But they both differ in
a) solutions
b) By me it happens upon boot.

Which makes me suspect that there are more registry entries for this type of error. Even though they share two key similarities.
1) NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS
2) STOP 0x00000035

Thanks
-nat

Did you check in your windows drive for a hidden System Volume Information folder if it is there and it had SP\snap\ folders you can copy and move the 5 hiv files for the registry to your windows\system32\config folder rename then and do a system restore that way.

When I try to access the folder, it tells me 'access denied'.

Do it from the Linux boot, then windows has no control over it. I use Bert Pe boot form CD when I do a repair. Just repaired a nice Sager 3.2G 17in. screen note book last week, C:\windows\system32\config\system file missing or currupted. Ran chkdsk /r from repair concel found problems but did not fix the booting problem. So used Bert Pe to copy the restore snapshot hiv files over and all was well. The first think the kid did after I got it fixed was to do a Ghost backup.

Since I can boot in safe mode, I was able to follow the instructions from the url posted by linney. However as I suspected I don't have recent backed up restore points. (And I can't use a config thats 2 years old! With wrong drive info.) Can BertPe help me now?
What else can I try?

TA
-nat

I don't see much hope for BartPE and the like as you state you have no System Registry to substitute for the damaged or corrupted one.

May be your next option is to try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

You have given me homework for the weekend!
Also, I'll have to search thru my cd's for a cd I made >1year ago that booted recovery console (some other stuff too maybe) since my original WinXp cd is NOT sp2.
I was hoping to bypass all this muck this time around.

See ya later.
Thanks;
-nat

It seems like I need to do the slipstream job. (Maybe I did it a year ago, have to search my cd's.)
As far as the hotfix goes, it seems specific to mup.sys, and I do NOT have the mup.sys message (although I have other similar messages), and as pointed out elsewhere that IRPStack errors can be caused by many things.
(Also<g> the MS support website is sending me to Dell.)
-nat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back