Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot and run chkdsk /f

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRChamberlain

Programmer
Mar 23, 2000
GB
Hi all

Have been asked to try and recover a Dell Dimension C521 which won't boot.

It requests through a blue screen that chkdsk /f be run to correct errors.

Dell's techies confirm that chkdsk /f should resolve the issue.

So how do I make or obtain a suitable CD that will boot and allow chkdsk to run?

TIA

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com
motrac.co.uk

Do you have a install disk for your version of windows? if you do, or can borrow one, boot it and go into recovery console,and run the command from there. Or you can use something like Hiren's boot disk, and run nifs4dos and run the command from there.

I doubt a CHKDSK will fix the problem just because the blue screen says to do one. There could be lots of reasons for that blue screen.

If the chkdsk doesn't fix it, please give us the exact blue screen error message so we can diagnose.

Before contacting Dell support, the various system checks/tests enabled by the F12 key on boot were run.

All were positive and this info was relayed to the Dell techies, hence their opinion.

chkdsk /R did resolve this issue but one wonders as to the true cause of the problem?

Many thanks to all replied.

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com
motrac.co.uk

Time for a hard drive diagnostic test if it wasn't run as part of the built-in dell diagnostics.

I know that, but I only trust the manufacturer's tool - not the built-in Dell diagnostics. That's just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back