Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books/Videos for beginning VB student

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecazz

Technical User
May 5, 2007
US
I am reading a "Teach yourself in 24 hours" type book which seems to just drop you in the deep end quickly.

Is there a tried and true or "holy grail" book for beginners?

Hi and welcome to Tek-Tips. To get best use from these forums please read faq222-2244.

Unless you are a college student stuck with VB6 I would go straight to VB.NET and try
Steam Engine Prints

Can you give me some information as far as why just to go to VB.NET?
I would be learning VB6 to write macros and interface with Excel. Also, writing custom programs for accounting programs running under SQL and PSQL databases.
Would VB.NET perform the same functions and interface well?

"...to write macros and interface with Excel..."

Are you writing this code within Excel (VBA) or externally, via VB Studio?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Bear with me since I am a total newbie and may not be able to follow the logic you are trying to impart.
To answer your reply:
I would say adjusting the syntax within a macro created in Excel as well as eventually writing small programs to access sql and psql databases and interface with the accounting program and or Excel exports.

"...writing small programs to access sql and psql databases and interface with the accounting program and or Excel exports."

You can do queries to other databases using several techniques using VBA in Excel.

Where is, "...the accounting program..."?

Excel exports of what to what?

I'm trying to determine if you're intending to do a full blown executable or do a application from within Excel (get external data, manipulate data, report data)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

I was told at work we "could do a lot with VB" so I cannot get into many details beyond that right now since I am not fully up to speed on what that is.

So I took an interest in learning VB6 to assist the company and gain experience and knowledge in programming.

We use MSSQL and PSQL for a Sage program called Accpac. We also export financial data from Accpac into Crystal Reports and also into Excel.

At times we create macros to perform functions on that data to save clients time in running reports or gathering data.

So I would be working with Excel at times and possibly other times creating interfaces or add ons for Accpac or programs to extract and format data from MSSQL and PSQL.

So, my question back was...Is learning VB.NET going to allow me to perform that same types or operations vs. VB6 alone?

Obviously it's worth learning the most current or relavant product, but if I strictly need VB6 then I cannot help out at work.

Hopefully, this makes some sense without me having very specific goals.

Since AccPac uses VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) for its "macros", and you may also be writing in Excel using it's flavour of VBA, learning the Visual Basic syntax may indeed be useful in your work environment.

The difference between VB6 and any of the different VBA's are the "visual" aspects, i.e. forms and controls. The syntax is identical, for example declaring variables or doing a for-next loop is exactly the same in VB6 and VBA. But for example the listbox in VB6 works a little differently then the listbox for Access VBA, or Excel VBA, etc.

It may be possible to do what you want with .NET because .NET can use COM objects, and most applications that have VBA are written as a hierarchy of COM objects. For example, I have written a .NET Web Service that uses AccPac's COM API to import orders. But writing in in VB would have been easier.

So in your case I think learning VB or VBA would be useful.

By the way, here's a link to the AccPac forum. There are a couple of people there who can help you with writing AccPac macros. Believe me, its one of the more arcane arts I've come across.

>.NET can use COM objects

I don't feel that this is to be recommended as a strategy for creating code from scratch. You're adding another layer of objects onto the .Net platform, contributing to bloat.

Bob

Yes but sometimes it's necessary to get your .NET app to communicate with older applications.

In my case I had to write a webservice and the only I way I know how to do that is with .NET (specifically C#).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back