Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books on CSS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwhalen

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
CA
Hello,

I want to get a really good book on CSS. I already know the basics, so what I want is an advanced book on CSS and/or a really big reference guide. Also, I was wondering if they are coming out with CSS3 any time soon? And if so...should I wait to get that book?

Thanks

Don't wait, and don't look for the big book. Like all things computer, if you wait, the only thing you'll see is obsolesence and you'll get left behind. (I took on a 3 year Unix project when Visual Basic was just VB. After 3 years it was VB6 which didn't look anything like the 1st version.)

Best way is to learn CSS is to just start doing it and experiment as you go. This forum is an excellent resource as well as the many CSS tutorial sites on the net.

Remember, all CSS directives are not recognized by all browsers so you have to find that "happy area" that works for you. There's always a better way...

I've been using the glasshaus book on CSS - it's thin, to the point, and cheap - and written by some guys I REALLY respect.

grumpyman

I recommend "Eric Meyer on CSS" published by New Riders.

Check out the site about the book
The book covers "real world" projects and strips the code back to the bare content and rebuilds it using CSS techniques. You can download the project files to work along with the projects yourself. Joe Bananas' guide to Perth, Scotland
Bananas' tribute to Fawlty Towers!

Thanks Bananas and grumpyman those books look really great. I think the Eric Meyer's book looks like the best so far, especially since he seems to be the top name in the CSS world.

Later

Eric Meyer's definitely the father of CSS but I don't know if buying a book is the best answer, as they can go out of date pretty quickly. I'd look for an on-line resource that's updated regularly.

's house of style section is one of the better ones, and it's free. You might want to check out their tutorials too.

A star for RachelM's answer about "I'd look for an on-line resource that's updated regularly" The internet is the best place to keep updated !! (But if you are traveling much by train I should buy a book too, to use this boring time LOL)

BTW: This is a great site too:

CSS

HTML

Erik
<-- My sport: Boomerang throwing !!
!! Many Happy Returns !! -->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back