Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booklet design with columns on legal landscape paper 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

myraz

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
US
I'm trying to figure out how to do an insert for our church bulletin. The bulletin itself is created in Wordperfect on an 8 1/2 x 14 landscaped paper that has printing on both sides and is folded in half when printed. The bulletin becomes a four-page booklet when finished. Wordperfect can "subdivide" a page and allow me to create three columns on each of the four finished pages. This works fine.

My problem is that I have a weekly four-page insert that is set in three columns to a page (WordPerfect will take the 8 1/2 x 14 sheet and subdivide it into two facing pages and puts three columns on each facing page.) The articles for the insert change up until the time of printing and there are a lot of text boxes involved. The insert could be created so much easier and faster using PageMaker than WordPerfect if I could figure out how to set up the pages.

Any ideas on how to make a four page document out of a folded 8 1/2 x 14 landscaped paper? The finished document needs to have a three column spread on each of the four "pages."

Thanks

There are a number of ways you to do it, such as setting up four pages each measuring 7" wide x 8.5" high, dividing each into three columns, adding the text and then manually re-ordering them just before printing (depending on your printing method/printer duplexing capabilities, etc) but since you mention have a number of separate text boxes (which presumably have to be juggled around to get 'best fit'), I think it may be easier to see more of the layout at once. This would mean setting up two pages measuring 14" wide and 8.5" high, with pages 2 and 3 on one page and page 4 (on the left) and page 1 (on the right) on the other page. This will mean when they are duplexed, page 1 will be back-to-back with page 2; likewise for pages 3 & 4. You would have to set up a total of 7 columns across this double spread, maintaining the central column for you gutter. Make sure the middle column is equal to twice the width of the left and right margins so it looks balanced when printed.

(Does this help you at all, or is it not what you were asking for help with?)

I could not have put it better, myself. I would opt for the second method, and also use guidelines to mark gutter, margins and borders of the columns. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back