Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic133

Technical User
Apr 7, 2002
US
Is there a book that explains all of the dropdown choices you encounter when you are writing VBA code? I'm very interested in this so that I may solve some of my own problems. Essentially, I'm very interested in reading up on VBA code from the beginning. I don't know any computer languages (my last computer class was on Fortran 77 over 10 years ago) but I have found that, with the aid of these dropdown menus I've been able to navigate OK in VBA. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Though I haven't read it too much, I got "Programming Access 2000" from Microsoft Press about 6 months ago. It has a VBA section in it. I got it at a book store that carries books over a year old. From the back, it cost 49.99 new, but I paid $10 for it.

Usually I just browse through books at bookstores before I find one that I need.

I'm trying to pick up VBA myself with an aim to changing my line of work. I had a little training in a short college course a few years ago but am basically starting from scratch. I tried the VBA for Dummies book and rate it as utterly useless. The book I am now plowing through is "Mastering VBA6" by Guy Hart-Davis published by Sybex.

ISBN 0-7821-2636-7

It cost me £29.99 and is marked at $39.99 if you're over the pond.

I have already managed to write a couple of small applications in Word and Excel.

I thouroughly recommend the book if you are starting from my level(ground floor).

Happy hunting!

RTF

I agree about the Dummies books in general. You won't learn much from them.

Hi
Though I don't have a copy myself I've heard praise piled onto John Walkenbach's "Power Programming with Excel ####" many time on this site. You'll find out more at the following link

And NO, I'm not on comission.

Personally I use an old course manual (from QA Training) and "VB/VBA In A Nutshell" (published by O'Reilly") as a reference. Or rather I used to when I did this sort of thing as part of my job!!

One thing to bear in mind is that, by definition, VBA is application driven, so decide what you'll be using and buy accordingly. That said there are books that cover the whole of MS Office VBA but I don't know what kind of detail they'd go into as they are no bigger than single application books.

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Two books that I would recommend, Visual Basic Programming A Laboratory Approach. I used this book in a VB class that I took about a year and a half ago. It starts at the basement level and takes you up to about the tenth floor. From there I would recommend VB 6 Coursebook 4th Edition. This is more of an advanced approach to programming in VB, so I would definetly stick to using the first book to understand the tricks and the trades.

Book #1 Judith L. Gersting Isbn 0-7167-8317-7

Book #2 Forest Lin ISBN 1-57676-029-4

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I'm sure I'll find something!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back