Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOE Switching Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahubba

Programmer
Mar 16, 2011
US
How does BOE determine what server to run reports on? I have about 20 reports running right now and they are all running on one server (and hitting it really hard). Is there any kind of load balancing that occurs when running reports? I assumed there was but that is not what is happening right now. Maybe there is a setting I don't have configured correctly?

Yes, it should balance between the servers. However, some of that depends on how you have things set up in the CMC. What kind of reports are they - Crystal, Webi, something else? Do you have server groups defined? Are you talking about scheduled reports or view on demand reports? If they're scheduled, look at the Job servers - what is the max concurrent jobs for each? Are you talking physical servers, the server processes that run inside BO, or both? If it's physical servers, how many server processes do you have running on each physical server?

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Hello,

These for Crystal Reports that are scheduled...some may be demand...but majority scheduled reports.

I have 4 Physical servers and I do have the server Groups defined.

The Job servers for all of my servers are set to 20 Jobs per server.

But what ends up happening is all of the reports will run from 1 server and sometimes que up that server instead of going to the other 3 servers that are free.

I would Ideally like to have them look at the most freed up server instead of it always hitting one server.

E.I

Report 1 Server 1
Report 2 Server 2
Report 3 Server 3
Report 4 Server 4
Report 5 Determine which server has more freed up space
Report 6 Determine which server has more freed up space

Currently this is how it looks

Report 1 Server 1
Report 2 Server 1
Report 3 Server 1
Report 4 Server 1
Report 5 Server 1
Report 6 Server 1

Please let me know if I am making sense.

For Crystal reports, the job server processes scheduled reports and the processing server handles view on demand. For Webi, the job server sets off the schedule and then passes it to the processing server. So it helps to know what you're working with.

I would set the job server to have a max of 5 to 10 concurrent reports. It's better to have multiple server processes running fewer reports on a given physical server - you CAN add additional job server processes to the configuration - than to have just one server process running many reports.

You can also use the Server Groups that have been configured in the CMC by specifying a server group for scheduling in the default properties for each report - if you set it a "Give preferences to servers belonging to the selected group" then you're not constraining it to run on only one server but it can use the setting to determine where it will run.

Other than these suggestions, there really is no way to control how BO does its load balancing between the server processes (it doesn't particularly take note of the physical server, just the server process that's running.)

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back